Thursday, October 31, 2019

No Book Review


Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries - Kory Stamper

I spent a lot of time writing and editing a review for Word by Word because I wanted to be eloquent in my expression of admiration for both the book and its author. Before posting it, though, I looked at other reviews of the book and immediately found many of my words and phrases in them, so I decided against posting mine. I had nothing new to offer in terms of praise for this book that I'd so enjoyed reading. If you read all the raving reviews posted online, you'll know what I mean.

All I will say is this book resonated with the nerdy word-loving grammarian that I am. I recommend it to all my fellow writers and word lovers. I took my time reading the book, savoring every word, enjoying every chapter, and delighting in the author's sense of humor. Some passages and footnotes made me laugh out loud.

Reading Word by Word also brought back many memories of my childhood and adolescence. As the daughter of an etymologist and lexicographer, I spent fifteen years of my life in the middle of stacks of books and piles of paper and boxes filled with index cards. From that period of my life, most memories I have of my father involve him sitting at his desk, a red pencil in his hand, either underlining words in books or reviewing semantic variations of words based on evidence.

I'm glad Kory Stamper “authored” this book (see the footnote on p.187 of the book), and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment