Wednesday, July 20, 2022

House Versus Home

A house is a building that serves as a shelter for animals, including humans; it's a living space, a place of residence. It can be made of brick, stone, stucco, wood, block, glass, ...
The word house is a concrete noun; it can be felt with the five senses. What about home?

The word home can be used as a concrete noun in some of its definitions, but in comparison with the word house, it is an abstract noun; it cannot be felt with the five senses. 

As with most abstract nouns, home can mean different things to various people. To me, home is where I feel safe, where I feel at peace, where I get to be comfortable. No matter where I am, whether or not I am in my house, my furry companions are my tiny social unit, my family, and when I am with them, I feel I am at home.

I just read another thought-provoking article by Philip Anderson, a remarkable lesson on perspective and gratitude:
https://www.independentliving.co.uk/philip-anderson/seeking-refuge-yearning-for-home/ 

I wonder what home means to others.




No comments:

Post a Comment