Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Book Review


Norma Nikutowski, a member of the #WritingCommunity, sent me a digital copy of her book Turn Your Happiness ON in exchange for a review, which I agreed to... somewhat reluctantly. It sounded like a self-help book, and I've read many of those, very few of which I've found helpful. I'd given my word, though, so I started reading it. I admit I was immediately drawn to the author's honesty about her own feelings and the simplicity of her suggestions.

The author shares stories about her upbringing and her life experience. She draws conclusions based on the outcome of her own trials and errors. She also uses her professional experience and research to discuss happiness. She starts each chapter with a quote, and, after sharing an anecdote, gives the reader practical advice, a checklist, and a chapter summary, all of which make her approach effective in its simplicity and practicality.

Everyone is always looking for happiness like it's lost. Some believe it's hidden in unreachable worldly possessions; others look for it in high positions of power. And then there are those who believe there's no hope for happiness given “their” particular situation. This book shows the reader how happiness is a state of mind and can be attained very simply by making small changes, step by step, toward more joy in life.

I've always had the good fortune to feel content with very little. My lifestyle shows it: I have very few possessions and live in a tiny home. My hobbies involve taking walks with the dogs, watching movies, reading books, and writing. Therefore, many parts of the book, mainly about decluttering, which I know can be helpful to many of my friends, or gratitude, which so many people I personally know can benefit from, don't help me much.

Also, positive thinking and developing a positive attitude, are not, in my opinion, as easy as the author makes it sound, or maybe they are but take a long time to reach, so the results of taking small steps may not be immediately visible and verifiable.

However, some parts of the book resonated with me. I especially liked the chapter on decision making. I also liked her views on failure. I have paid more attention to my choices and decisions since I've read this book, and I can honestly say reading this book has been beneficial to me.

Turn Your Happiness ON is an easy read, filled with heart-warming stories and feasible action steps. I find it worth reading. Once you read it, you'll know which parts can be effective in your life and help you personally. I recommend giving it a try... because how often can you say you got closer to your goal in life by spending a couple of hours reading an affordable book?



1 comment:

  1. Being content with what we do everyday such as reading, writing, or waking the dogs is the best way to experience happiness. Thank you for your insightful review.

    ReplyDelete