Thursday, April 2, 2020

Covid-19: Beyond Washing Hands


Yesterday, I ran out of fruits and vegetables. I was planning on ordering them online and having them delivered, but there is no such service around here for perishable items, so I put my armor on and went to the store very early in the morning, when most people were still sleeping. The store shelves didn't look as pitiful as they had the last two weeks. As I was thinking about getting a loaf of freshly baked bread the gentleman was placing on the shelf, I heard a loud sneeze and looked in that direction. The lady who worked in the deli had sneezed all over the meats she was arranging for the display. She wasn't wearing a mask or gloves. I watched as she wiped her mouth and nose with her hand and continued to work. I stood there disgusted by what I had just witnessed and started rethinking the items I had put in my cart. It's needless to say I immediately lost my desire for freshly baked bread. I put back a few items which I thought had been packaged in the store. Clearly, the store policies didn't require their workers who have contact with the food to wear masks or gloves.

Then I saw two store employees were standing about two feet apart in the vegetable section chatting. They were standing right by the broccoli I was about to take. The broccoli wasn't covered. I suddenly decided I didn't need fresh vegetables. I ended up buying only frozen vegetables. It doesn't mean those are cleaner. I don't know how they were packed, but at least I hadn't personally seen them get sprayed by people.

How do we expect to get rid of Covid-19 if those who make and distribute food don't cooperate? They say wash your hands and don't touch your eyes, nose, and mouth. What about the food we put in our mouths? Where is that coming from? Who is touching it? Would it help to cook it, freeze it, heat it?

A few days ago, I saw my neighbor pass by. We waved. I was standing outside, leaning against my car, enjoying the sun, playing Word Chums on my phone. About half an hour later, he came back and stopped to say hi. He said he had bought a pizza but he hadn't stayed to eat it there. He wanted to eat it at home, where it was safer. How did he know the person who prepared the pizza wasn't sick? Generally, when I ask questions like that, people usually call me crazy or stupid or weird. It doesn't bother me that they call me names; it does, however, bother me that they're not willing to use their brain and think. I kept my mouth shut because I knew it would be pointless. He would go home and eat that pizza no matter what I said, so why ruin it for him? This was the same man who also asked me if I wanted a mask and, before I could answer, took out an unwrapped mask and a used tissue out of his pocket and offered me the mask with his bare hand that had just touched his steering wheel on which he had just sneezed.

We need to pay more attention and be more alert.

It's not just about washing hands.

Wipe everything you touch daily with bleach, and do it regularly.

Wash your glasses with warm water and soap, and don't forget the handles. You touch them more than you think you do.

Wipe your car keys.

Wipe your phones often, and not just the screen. Don't forget the charger.

Wipe your home door knobs and handles, even those little ones on the kitchen drawers.

Wipe all the faucets. Wipe the flush handle on the toilet.

Wipe your remote controls.

Wipe the steering wheel, the gear stick, the window button, the door handle on the inside and outside of your car.

Now they're saying the virus can live on your shoes for five days. Take them off outside if you can. If you touch your shoes to tie them, put them on, or take them off, don't forget to immediately wash your hands.

If you're using a scarf as a mask, like I am, wash it after every use.

If you're wearing gloves that are not disposable, wash them or wipe them, depending on their material.

Don't forget your belt buckles.

Wash your hair pins and bands, and don't forget to wash your hair. We touch our hair a lot, and when we go out, it's exposed to pretty much everything. So basically, our hair is bringing home lots of things we don't want. If you go out, wash your hair and all your clothes as soon as you get back home.

Wash your hands before and after you use the bathroom, not just after.

If you take medicine, vitamins, and/or supplements, wipe the bottles.

When you use utensils, make sure you wash their handles thoroughly. The same goes for pots and pans. Don't forget your mugs and cups.

If you use spray bottles to clean and disinfect, wash the outside of the bottles regularly.

Wipe your books, notebooks, and clipboards you use daily with a cotton ball and vinegar.

Wipe your pens and pencils.

Wash or wipe any tools you use for your hobbies.

Wipe the keyboard on your laptop or desktop. Don't forget the mouse.

Speaking of mouse, if you have pets, like I do, wash or wipe their collars and leashes and the little fasteners on their harnesses. Wipe their coats with baby wipes regularly. Wipe their paws with baby wipes, too.

There's a lot more, but these are all I can think of now.



1 comment:

  1. These are wise words. Thank you for documenting your experience and sharing with the rest of us so we can learn.

    ReplyDelete